Pages - Menu

Saturday, April 12, 2014

How To: Half Moon Nails

Once my recital ended, one of the first things I did in my spare time was paint my nails. It sounds a bit silly, but if you're a female instrumentalist, you know that being able to paint--or even grow--your nails is a rare opportunity. And this time, I decided to go the extra mile and do a half-moon manicure. Super exciting. Half-moon manicures are essentially the opposite of French manicures; instead of highlighting the tips of your nails, you highlight the moons. It's really quick and easy. I'm terrible at nail art, so if I can do it, you can too. All that's needed are some sticky labels, two different colors of nail polish, a pencil, and scissors. If you choose to paint the moons a lighter color than the rest of the nail bed, you can simply use BINDER REINFORCEMENTS. But if you want the moons to be darker, I think this is an easy way to do so. You can also just use French manicure strips if you'd rather not draw and cut, but you won't get as defined of a circle.

Step 1: Paint the entire nail bed with your color of choice. I went with Loreal's How Romantic. It's a  pretty color, but it's streaky and therefore very annoying. I had to do about 3-4 coats.

Step 2: Cut out a strip of labels, leaving them adhered to the paper backing. Outline the shape of the moons with a pencil, and make sure to draw them wide enough so you have buffer space when painting the nails. Cut out each strip.

Step 3: Peel off the strips and place them accordingly onto your nails. Paint below the labels to create the moons. I used two coats for each nail and set them to dry.


Step 4: Remove the strips, add a layer of clear top coat, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. You can stare at them adoringly, stick them in front of your friends' faces, whatever comes to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment